Work for Us
Information About Testing and Hiring
We are pleased you are interested in working for the McKinney Fire Department, and suggest that you monitor this website for announcement of our next entrance exam.
If you would like more information, please email our Recruiting Officer.
- The McKinney Fire Department does not require firefighter or EMS certification as a pre-requisite to take our entrance exam. However, you must be at least 21 years of age and have a minimum of 30 college hours.
- All candidates for employment as a Firefighter undergo an extensive pre-employment process.
- The McKinney Fire Department allows individuals who have not completed a Fire Academy or Paramedic School to apply.
- Newly hired non-firefighter-certified recruits attend the Fire Academy to receive certification as a basic firefighter through the Texas Commission on Fire Protection. Previously certified recruits may proceed immediately to a three-week MFD orientation focused on core competencies. All recruits must complete this orientation prior to shift assignment.
- Once assigned to a fire station, each recruit firefighter must successfully complete a 12-month probationary period. The recruit is monitored and mentored by an assigned station officer. A Probationary Firefighter Task Book is provided to ensure skills meet standards of MFD. Recruit firefighters are tested on materials in the Task Book monthly, with progress documented and reported to the appropriate chief officer. Failure to successfully complete the probationary period is cause for termination.