The building that today is home to Rick’s Chop House and The Grand Hotel has had an illustrious past. The upper portion was at one time the Old Heard Opera House in McKinney. John Philip Sousa’s band played there, and as rumor has it, The Stars and Stripes Forever premiered in McKinney, though the piece actually premiered in Philadelphia on May 14, 1897.
The lower portion contained J.S. and S.D. Heard Mercantile until a fire in 1910 destroyed the opera house. The building later housed the Morgan Weaver Dry Goods Store from 1910-1919. Through the years since that time the building housed several different businesses including a shoe store and a gift store. Today it is home to a local winery.