Reading Lists for Children
Babies and Toddlers Babies and very young children need stimulus for healthy brain development. A child’s first teacher is the parent. These books are meant for a parent to read with a child.
- 2016 Texas 2 x 2 Reading List (Texas Library Assn. website)
- Books for Babies and Toddlers
- Multicultural Books for Toddlers & Preschoolers
Young ChildrenYoung children are constantly learning language and literacy skills. These books help parents prepare a child for a lifetime of learning. They foster pre-literacy skills and get a child ready for school.
- Books for Small Children
- Caldecott Winners
- I'm a Big Kid Now! - Picture Books on Potty Training
- Picture Books - Around the World
- Picture Books - Dinosaur RAWRS
- Picture Books - Fairy Tales
- Picture Books - Imagine If...
- Picture Books - It's So Fluffy! (Animal Stories)
- Picture Books - Monster RAWRS
- Picture Books - Princess Party Time
- Picture Books - Winter is Coming
The books in this list are for children who are reading on their own. Most children are reading chapter books in this stage of life, but a picture book is just as fun. The books selected foster vocabulary building, awareness of other people’s experiences, and reflect many segments of the community. Children should try them for fun along with the things they have to read for school.
- 2016-17 Bluebonnet Award Master List (Texas Library Assn. printable list)
- 2016 Bluebonnet List
- 2017 Bluebonnet List
- 3rd-5th Grade - Book Series Boys Will Love
- 3rd-5th Grade - Book Series Girls Will Love
- 3rd-5th Grade - Fantasy
- 3rd-5th Grade - Historical Fiction
- 3rd-5th Grade - Must Read Series
- 3rd-5th Grade - Mystery
- 3rd-5th Grade - Realistic Fiction
- African American Historical Fiction for Children
- Beginner Chapter Books
- Books for Big Kids
- Newbery Winners
- Young Advanced Readers
For Further Reading
If a title shown on one of these lists is not available, you may want to try other titles by the same author using the library catalog. Log into your account to place a hold on any title.