Checking Out Library Materials
Checking Out, Renewing and Returning
Checking Out Materials
Library materials other than reference may be checked out for three weeks. Items will automatically renew up to three times if there are no holds or requests for those items.
Checkout and Request Limits Per Library Card
- 200 items (including books, DVDs, CD or MP3 audiobooks)
- Book requests - 100
- DVD requests - 20
- CD or MP3 audiobook requests - 15
- The Library offers automatic renewal of items you’ve checked out. These will be renewed automatically (up to a maximum of three times) unless there’s a hold request on the item from another patron or your account has accrued over $10 in fees.
- You can check the library catalog website for the renewal status of your checked-out items. You’ll need your library card number and password. More information can be found on the Renew Library Items page.
Materials can be returned inside either McKinney Public Library branch during open hours:
- Inside the Roy & Helen Hall Library: to the right of the circulation desk near the stairs
- Inside the John & Judy Gay Library: to the left of the circulation desk near the library entrance
Other return options
- Outside the Roy & Helen Hall Library: on Kentucky Street (southbound, one way) on the west side of the building
- Outside the John & Judy Gay Library: adjacent to the building on the east side of the building
- Remote Site 1: Westgate Shopping Center - U.S. 75 & Virginia St.
- Remote Site 2: Prosperity Bank - Hardin and Eldorado Pkwy.
- As of October 1, 2017, the McKinney Public Library does not charge daily late fines for overdue items that have been checked out after September 30, 2017. Items checked out prior to October 1, 2017 are charged late fees of 25 cents per day per item, and late fees of 5 cents on overdue library bags in accordance with the Circulation Policy in place at that time.
- Any fees on your card in the amount of $10 or over will block you from checking out, and items from being automatically renewed. If you are at the library and are unable to pay the whole fee, staff may offer the alternative of you making a partial payment of at least 10% of the total fees in order to check out items.
- Fees may be paid at the circulation desk in the lobby of either library location. You may pay by cash, check, or credit card.