City Council Meetings
The McKinney City Council invites and encourages the public to attend all Council, board and commission meetings. The following information has been compiled to acquaint residents with the proceedings of the meetings.
Council Meeting Dates
The City Council meets the first and third Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. Work sessions are conducted on the first, third and fourth Mondays of the month at 5:30 p.m.
City Council meetings are held in the following location:
City Hall Council Chambers
McKinney, TX 75069
The McKinney City Council has seven members. Four council members are elected to single-member districts, and two council members and the mayor are elected at large. Each council member serves a four year term. The council sets policy for the city and acts as the legislative branch of the city government.
The Council Agenda, which lists all items to be considered at each week's sessions, is available to the public 72 hours before the Council meeting. Agendas are available online, on a bulletin board in front of City Hall and as paper handouts in the City Hall lobby.
Council Members welcome public testimony. During regular City Council meetings, there are two opportunities for citizen comments – one at the beginning and one at the end of every meeting. Speakers are asked to sign the sign-in sheet and to be conscious of the limited time available to those who wish to bring a matter before the council; therefore, each citizen is allowed three minutes to speak. While there is no citizen comment period during work sessions, attendance is encouraged.
Council will allow up to 30 minutes of public comments for citizens to address regular agenda items that are not Public Hearing items at the beginning of each meeting. Citizen comments for issues not on the agenda as well as those that did not occur within the first 30 minutes of the meeting will be allowed at the conclusion of the agenda.
Comments on City Council agenda items can also be submitted via email, by phone at 972-547-7501 or mailed to City Council, City of McKinney, P.O. Box 517, McKinney, TX 75070. If a citizen does not wish to speak before the council but has a concern they would like to have addressed, please contact the City Secretary at 972-547-7505.
- Minutes are taken at every public meeting and include the date, time and place of the meeting; the names of members present; the substance of all official actions; a record of roll call votes; the names of all citizens who appear officially at the meeting; and the subject of citizens' testimony.
- A quorum is a majority of Council members. The McKinney City Council consists of seven members, so four members constitute a quorum. An affirmative vote of a majority of the Council is necessary to transact any business at a City Council meeting.
- An ordinance is a piece of legislation passed by Council in accordance with rules set forth in the City Charter. Ordinances are required to be published in the Public Notices section of the newspaper after they have been approved by Council.
- A motion is a verbal action taken by the Council that must be seconded and approved by a majority of council for it to pass.
- A resolution is a written action taken by Council on a non-legislative matter that usually establishes Council policy or directs certain administrative actions.
- A consent agenda consists of non-controversial or housekeeping items required by law that are passed without discussion and with a single vote of approval by a majority of Council members in an effort to expedite Council business. Items may be considered individually by any Council member making such request prior to a motion and vote on the consent items.
- The regular agenda consists of items requiring individual consideration by the Council.
- Council and Manager comments occur at the end of each meeting. These comments relate to items of public interest: Announcements regarding local or regional civic and charitable events, staff recognition, citizen commendations, traffic issues, upcoming meetings, informational updates on city projects, awards, acknowledgement of meeting attendees, birthdays, requests for the City Manager to place items on upcoming agendas, and condolences.
Watch City Council Meetings Online
City Council meetings and work sessions are aired live on Spectrum Cable, Ch. 16 and AT&T U-Verse, Ch. 99. The meetings are rebroadcast throughout the week on air and online.
Accommodations and modifications for people with disabilities are available upon request. Requests should be made as far in advance as possible, but no less than 48 hours prior to the meeting. Call 972-547-2694 or email with questions about accommodations.
If you have any questions about how you may participate in the governmental process, please call the City Secretary’s office at 972-547-7505.