Juried Art Show
’Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Show Reception and Awards Presentation - Event Modifications
’Unique by Nature’ Juried Art Competition and Exhibition is hosted by McKinney Performing Arts Center (City of McKinney) with help from Arts and Music Guild volunteers.
The Juried Art Show and Exhibition was created to build a public and permanent art collection for MPAC. Artists from all over the state of Texas submit work for cash prizes and the chance to have their piece hung in our historic halls.
2020 Submissions are closed.
The cash prize component of the show will be rescheduled at a date to be determined.
Purchase Prize - $6,000
- One large-scale work will be awarded a $6,000 Purchase Prize and will become part of MPAC’s permanent and public art collection. Eligible pieces must be 36″ or more in one dimension (not including the frame).
- Finalists for the Juried Art Competition are listed below.
- Work delivered to MPAC by Monday, June 8.
- Announce the winner on Saturday, June 13.
- Artwork will be displayed until Sunday, July 5.
- Dave McClinton - "Mary Johnson"
- Nora Burk - "Ammonite Aquifer"
- Deborah Allison - "Cathedral"
- Chris Garcia - "511"
- Curtis Frederick - "Lady in Blue"
- Carolyn Funk - "29 Texas Inks" *Winning Entry*
- Nathan Jensen - "Pandora Dreams"
- Olivia Laster - "Untitled"
- John Lightle - " A Venture Awaits"
- Paul Sokal - "Texas 17"
- Jen Tomlinson - "Dreams for Pawn"
- Rachel Walter - "Night Trees"
Online Virtual Gallery
View the works of each finalist with a virtual self-guided tour of the art exhibit.
- Based on received applications, 12 large-scale pieces will be selected for the 2020 show by judges Karl Buchberg, retired Senior Curator, Museum of Modern Art, New York; and J. Patrick Cooney, J. Patrick Cooney Fine Arts.
- The 12 selected works will be judged by artist, Kyle Hobratschk, founder of 100 West Corsicana in 2012 as a residency for artists and writers.
- One purchase prize winner will be selected.
- ‘Unique by Nature’ is open to professional and emerging artists who are legal residents of the United States and at some point have been residents of Texas.
- Entrants must be at least 17 years of age by May 2020.
- Any additional sales will be handled by MPAC with a 25% commission to MPAC. These funds will be used to purchase additional work and fund future competitions.
- Staff and volunteers will use care in handling the work; however, we are not responsible for losses or damages. Artists may consider insuring their work based on its value.
- MPAC will promote artists and work through social media platforms.
Event Sponsored By
- McKinney Community Development Corporation
- McKinney Arts Commission
- Texas Commission on the Arts
Special Thanks To
- Don Day, DFA Limited