Guidelines for Apex Centre
Guidelines by Area
Apex Centre asks that all members and guests abide by our policies and guidelines while visiting the facility. You can see a list of some of our general guidelines at the links below.
Rules and guidelines are subject to change at the discretion of Apex Centre staff. Rules not listed here may apply.
Jump to Topic:
- No motorized vehicles are allowed in the entrance or walkway areas. All vehicles must be parked in the parking lot.
- Waivers are required for all guests entering the facility. If someone is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must complete the waiver.
- Children 4 years of age or older are not permitted in the restrooms of the opposite sex. Family changing rooms are available on the lower level.
- Resident rates are available to those who live within the McKinney city limits according to property taxes. Proof of residency is required when registering.
- Registrations are on a first-come-first-serve basis, and participants are encouraged to register as early as possible. Registration deadline is the Friday before the class begins unless otherwise noted.
- If it is necessary to cancel a class because of inclement weather, the customer service staff will notify all participants at least one hour before class is scheduled to begin, unless otherwise noted. If a swim lesson is canceled, the aquatic staff will contact you within 24 hours to reschedule. Any group class missed will not be made up.
- When a class is canceled due to low enrollment or other circumstances, you will be offered a transfer to another class or receive a full refund. Participant-initiated refunds and transfers will only be granted when a participant a) submits a transfer or refund request at least five business days prior to the class start date, b) moves from the area and notifies the staff at least five business days prior to the class start date, c) becomes ill, in which a doctor’s statement must be presented upon request. If a refund / transfer is not requested to be applied to the merchandise or program within 90 days, the refund / transfer will be forfeited.
- Due to the large amount of information available in the guide and website, errors before or after publications may occur. We apologize for any errors and we will advise you of any changes as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding when these situations occur.
- All facility participants are expected to follow the rules of the facilities. Specialty areas of the facilities (example: fitness center and the pools) have posted signs stating special rules specific to that area. Disregard or abuse of facility rules may result in removal by staff or police from the facility for a designated length of time or permanently.
- Registrants and participants of programs and special events permit the City of McKinney to take photos and videos of themselves and their children for publication in the program brochure, website and additional uses as the city deems necessary unless the registrant or participant expressly files a written objection to the use of photos or videos of themselves and/or their children.
- Recreational activities / programs are intended to challenge and engage the physical, mental and emotional resources of each participant. Despite careful and proper preparation, instruction, medical advice, conditioning and equipment, there is still a risk of serious injury when participating in any recreational activity / program. Understandably, not all hazards and dangers can be foreseen. Depending on the particular activity, participants must understand that certain risks, dangers and injuries due to inclement weather, slipping, falling, poor skill level or conditioning, carelessness, horseplay, unsportsmanlike conduct, premises defects, inadequate or defective equipment, inadequate supervision, instruction or officiating and all other circumstances inherent to indoor and outdoor recreational activities / programs exist. In this regard, it must be recognized that it is impossible for the City of McKinney to guarantee absolute safety.
- Since the Apex Centre is a family facility, proper attire includes shirts or tops that cover the torso without being revealing, shorts or pants and proper footwear. If you are swimming, wear a family-oriented swimsuit with a lining. Cutoffs or undergarments are not considered appropriate swimwear. Footwear must be worn at all times in the Apex Centre. In the gym, on the fitness floor and in the weight room, closed-toed shoes are required for safety.
- Coolers and outside food and beverages are permitted. However, glass containers and alcohol are not permitted inside the pools or facility. Chewing gum is not permitted inside the pools or facility. All coolers are checked at the entry points to the facility.
- The use of tobacco products is not allowed on Apex Centre property. This includes the use of e-cigarettes.
- Please be courteous and take calls outside of the fitness area.
- Recording is not allowed in the restrooms or locker rooms
- In the event of pool operation suspension due to inclement weather, you can have your receipt stamped for a rain check. You must have been present in the pool areas less than two hours for the rain check policy to apply. Management reserves the right to suspend operation and / or close the pools at any time and initiate the rain check policy. If the indoor pool stays open while the outdoor pool closes, the rain check policy will not apply.
- The pools will be closed when lightning occurs. If we are unable to reopen after thirty minutes, the pool will close and attempt to reopen later in the day. This policy is in effect until one hour prior to official closing time. This affects indoor and outdoor pool operations.
Outdoor Aquatic Center Policies
- Adults / guardians must be at least 16 years of age.
- Adults / guardians of children age 6 and under must be wearing a bathing suit and actively participating with their children in the pool at all times.
- All swimmers are required to take a cleansing shower before entering the pool.
- Properly maintained swimsuits only. Denim, cut-off shorts, spandex, etc., are not allowed.
- Swim diapers are required for young children. Regular diapers are prohibited in the pool. Swim diapers are sold at the service desk.
- Anyone having open cuts, wounds, etc., is not permitted into the pool.
- Only U.S Coast Guard-approved flotation devices are permitted. The stamp must be clearly visible. No water wings, noodles or other flotation devices are allowed.
- Do not spray / splash lifeguards on duty.
- Food and non-alcoholic drinks are allowed. No glass containers.
- Coolers are allowed, but will be searched to ensure compliance of facility policy.
- Swim toys, snorkels, fins are prohibited. Masks cannot cover the nose.
- Parents and guardians are solely responsible for supervising children. Lifeguards are responsible for enforcing rules and regulations and emergency response.
Water Slide Rules
- All riders must be at least 48” tall.
- Maximum rider weight is 300 pounds.
- Warning: Water depth is shallow.
- Non-swimmers are not permitted.
- All riders must ride feet first while lying on their back with arms crossed across their chest and ankles crossed. Do not go down slide head first. Do not sit up while riding the slide.
- All riders must enter the slide in sitting position and wait for instructions from the lifeguard stationed at the starter tub.
- Do not propel yourself into the ride.
- Only one rider at a time. Absolutely no trains or chains of riders are permitted. Parent cannot ride with children in their lap.
- No running, standing, kneeling, rotating, tumbling or stopping in the flume. Ride on your back with your feet first. Arms and hands must remain inside the flume at all times. Riders should remain in proper riding position until forward movement is terminated. At no time should the rider attempt to stand up while on the slide or before coming to a stop in the splash out area.
- No tubes, mats or life jackets are permitted on the water slide.
- No combs or foreign objects are allowed in pockets and no jewelry, t-shirts or shoes allowed. No cut-off jeans or swimwear with exposed zippers, buckles, rivets or metal ornamentation; only approved swimsuits allowed.
- The line should form on the deck with one rider on each landing and one rider in the start tub. Wait until landing area is clear before entering.
- Riders must be in good health. Elderly persons, those suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, epilepsy, or persons using prescription medication should consult with their physician before using the slide. Individuals with medical conditions including, but not limited to, pregnancy, heart or back problems should not ride.
- Do not use this slide while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- No diving from the slide.
- Leave the run out area promptly after entering.
- Rider assumes all risk of injury due to misuse of this slide or failure to follow these rules.
- Staff reserves the right to enforce other rules as necessary.
- Warning: “Failure to follow rules can result in serious injury.”
Fitness Floor Policies
- Children under the age of 13 are not allowed on the fitness floor.
- Children between the ages of 13 and 15 are permitted if accompanied by an actively participating adult. Adult is defined as 18 years or older.
- Towels are mandatory; please wipe down equipment after each use. You are an active participant in keeping our facility clean. Sanitation wipes are provided.
- Collars are mandatory for all barbell lifts.
- Spotters are required for all heavy lifting in the free weights area.
- Equipment may not be rearranged or removed.
- Equipment orientations are available and encouraged for first time users. Appointments must be made in advance.
- Do not bang the weights together or drop them on the floor.
- Allow others to work in when doing multiple sets.
- Use of chalk is prohibited.
- Weights must be returned to appropriate racks after each use.
- Do not lean weights against equipment, walks or columns.
- Personal gym bags are not permitted in Fitness Area. Food, cups, glass or gum are not allowed. Water only allowed. Must be a spill-proof container
- Proper attire must be worn at all times. Jeans, belts, clothing with rivets, wallet chains, sandals and open-toed shoes are prohibited.
- Only City of McKinney / Apex authorized personnel are allowed to conduct personal training in this facility. If members / outside trainers are caught abusing this policy, they will be asked to leave the facility immediately. Repeated abuse may revoke day pass or membership privileges.
- Limit cardio equipment usage to 30 minutes during peak times.
- Report equipment malfunctions or irregularities to fitness attendant immediately.
- Safe and proper use of equipment is required at all times.
- Use of inappropriate or foul verbal and/or body language is unacceptable at all times.
- Staff reserves the right to enforce other rules as necessary to ensure the comfort and safety of our guests.
- Please remember to put on and take off your cycle footwear on the mats next to the bike.
- Cycle shoes can damage the wood floors.
- The track length is 1/8 mile.
- Outside lanes are for running, inner lanes are for walking.
- Track direction changes daily. Please observe the correct direction for the day.
- Participants under the age of 10 must be supervised by an adult.
- Non-marking athletic shoes are required for the track.
- Strollers are prohibited.
- Tobacco, food, chewing gum, glass bottles and cans are prohibited on the track. Water is allowed in a sealed plastic container.
- Please refrain from using mobile devices.
- Weights are prohibited unless supervised by an Apex Personal Training staff member.
- West Side of Gymnasium is for Pick-Up games only and the East Side of Gymnasium is for free shooting only during the following times:
- Mon - Fri: 4 - 10 p.m.
- Sat: 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- Sun: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Children under the age of 10 must be directly supervised by a person aged 16 or older.
- Proper attire, including shorts, shirts and non-marking gym shoes must be worn at all times. Bare feet, flip-flops, sandals, dress shoes, etc., are prohibited.
- Equipment should be used in a manner that it was intended for. Tampering with equipment and/ or kicking or throwing the balls against the walls, doors, windows or ceiling is prohibited.
- No food or drink allowed (with the exception of water in a plastic closed container only).
- Profanity, horseplay and vulgar language are not allowed.
- The Apex Centre is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Organized practices are not allowed in the gymnasium at any time. Teams may rent the facility after hours for use. See customer service desk for pricing and availability.
- Volleyball is every Wednesday on the East Court all day – No Full Court Pickup games on the West Court after 4 p.m. on Wednesdays
- All Games are to be played on the West Side of the Court in consideration to the times above.
- If interested in playing a pickup game, notify the athletic assistant on duty and sign up.
- Games are first come, first serve.
- All games played up to 15 pts.
- Please remember: No foul language or dunking
- Children 3 months through 9 years are welcome to visit the babysitting room once a day for a maximum of two hours. The time limit of two hours is strictly enforced.
- Only parents or legal guardians who signed the child in can sign the child out. No exceptions.
- An Apex Centre membership card is required for check-in. Non-members must provide a photo ID at check-in.
- A parent / guardian must remain within the Apex facility at all times while their child is in the babysitting room. No exceptions. Individuals found to have left the building will lose their babysitting room privileges for 30 days. We do allow members to use the outdoor pool area, and/or participate in an on-site program that may be outside the grounds. Please notify a staff member if you plan to do so.
- As an hourly babysitting operation, food, drinks and snacks are not allowed.
- Please change your child before checking him / her into the babysitting room. If your child needs a diaper change, the parent will be paged. Staff cannot change diapers.
- Please make sure all personal belongings are marked with your child’s name.
- Pacifiers must be attached to child’s clothing or car seat.
- Any toys brought from home need to remain in the cubbies of the babysitting room.
- Medication will not be allowed or administered by the staff.
- As a health standard and courtesy to others, parents are expected to adhere to the Sick Child Policy.
Sick Child Policy
Please do not bring your child to the babysitting room if:
- Child has a fever of 99 degrees or higher.
- Child has vomited in the past 24 hours.
- Child has had watery stool in the past 24 hours.
- Child has a rash not associated with diapers.
- Child has a constant cough.
- Child has symptoms of a possible communicable disease (usually sniffles, red eyes, sore throat, headache, abdominal pain, fever, and/or skin spots, bumps or patches).
- Child has a sore throat and/or swollen glands causing difficulty in swallowing.