Peak of Fitness
Stay Fit, Keep Healthy
Tired of trying different diets and fads to keep healthy only to be led astray? Learn the best tips and tricks for staying fit and healthy from a reliable source. Registered Dietitian / Nutritionist, Cindy Kleckner, RDN, LD, FAND and our certified personal trainers will be bringing you different health and nutrition tips and exercises each month to help you reach your peak of fitness!
Bulgarian Split Squat - Unilateral Training
Whether you’re an athlete training for sports or an individual exercising on a regular basis, it’s crucial to understand the different types of training that contribute to progress.
Unilateral training is the performance of a movement or an exercise using a single arm or a single leg. This type of training will help:
- avoid overtraining or overusing the dominant side
- aid in isolating and correcting muscle imbalances
- improve balance
- utilize core muscles
- injury prevention and facilitates rehabilitation
An example of unilateral training is the Bulgarian Split Squat. This exercise helps improve your core strength, balance any weakness in a leg or hip, build glute strength, and hip stability.
How to perform:
- Start with your feet hip-width apart. Place your right foot forward and left foot behind your body on an elevated surface about knee-height.
- Hands should be positioned on your hips with an upright upper body. Keep your back straight
- Engage your core and start lowering the left knee towards the floor.
- Before your left knee hits the floor, press your right foot into the ground.
- Extend your right knee and push the top of your left foot into an elevated surface to return to standing.
Perform this exercise in a slow and controlled repetition with a full range motion. Aim for 15 repetitions on each leg, for 4 sets.
Try this exercise by using your body weight!
Always consult with a physician first before attempting any type of exercise.
DuyThien Le B.S., ACSM-CPT.
DuyThien is just one of our personal trainers helping our members reach their peak! Schedule your session with him today (407) 446-7247 or firstname.lastname@example.org