Development Regulations Update
The City of McKinney is updating its development regulations, that will include Chapters 142 (Subdivision) and 146 (Zoning), and other chapters of the McKinney Code of Ordinances related to land development, most of which were originally adopted 37 or more years ago. The primary goals of the project are to update the regulations to make them clearer and more enforceable, and to implement the One McKinney 2040 Comprehensive Plan.
Short-Term Priority Amendments
In an effort to improve the usability of the City’s development code, the City Council recently adopted several amendments to clarify confusing or conflicting provisions, codify common practices, and allow administrative approvals for common variances. Public Notice requirements changed and applicants are now responsible for providing photos of notice signs. A guide with instructions on meeting the new requirements will be available in January 2020. The amendments became effective on November 6, 2019. The amendments were reviewed at the following meetings:
Planning & Zoning Commission (October 22, 2019)
The following sections of the Municipal Code were amended:
- 70-58 - Duty of owner, occupant to cut and remove weeds, brush, and unsightly matter
- 142-5 - Approval required
- 146-40 - Nonconforming uses and nonconforming structures
- 146-84 - Neighborhood Business District
- 146-99 - REC regional employment center overlay district
- 146-131 - Off-street loading
- 146-132 - Fences, walls, and screening requirements
- 146-139 - Architectural and site standards
- 146-162 - Administrative official
- 146-164 - Changes and amendments
- 146-165 – Board of Adjustment
We Need Your Help
As the update process unfolds, we’ll need to hear from you to keep McKinney’s unique nature intact. You’ll be able to voice your opinion through surveys, public meetings, and by providing comments on the proposed regulations.
The website NewCodeMcKinney.com is a great resource to stay current with the most recent updates. You’ll be able to find out about upcoming events, participate in surveys, and connect with us on social media or join the mailing list and let the updates come to you.
Several changes to Texas Local Government Code were adopted by the 86th Legislature on June 16, 2019 and will become effective September 1, 2019. We are working to align our Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances with the new state laws.
- Staff presented information regarding the legislative changes to the City Council and Planning and Zoning Commission on the dates below (these were informational only and no formal action was taken):
- Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance amendments were considered by Planning and Zoning Commission and approved by City Council at the meetings listed below:
Additional Information and Ordinance Amendments
For further questions, please contact the Planning Department at 972-547-2000.
McKinney Town Center Zoning District (MTC)
Excerpt from Chapter 146 of the City of McKinney Code of Ordinances - Zoning Regulations