Historic Preservation Resources
The City of McKinney provides professional assistance navigating through the applications listed below.
Questions? Send us an email or call 972-547-7416.
Forms & Applications
- Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) Application
- HNIZ Tax Incentive Program
- Historic Building Marker Application
- Historic Home Recognition Nomination
- McKinney Boards and Commissions
- Neighborhood Empowerment Zone Impact Fee Waiver Application
- Rate Your Service
Researching Historic Properties
A historic property is a property that is designated or has been determined eligible for designation at the local, state or federal level. Properties eligible for local historic designation must either be important for representing broad patterns of history, for their association with the life of a historically important person, for conveying high architectural or artistic values or for archaeological contributions.
Maps & Ordinances
During the 1980s, the City Council of McKinney passed ordinances establishing two historic districts and the regulations that oversee them. These districts were formed in order to protect, enhance, and perpetuate the historical and cultural significance of the buildings and sites that helped to shape the identity of generations of citizens.
- Historic District Map
- "H" Overlay and Commercial Historic District
- Historic Neighborhood Improvement Zone (HNIZ) / Neighborhood Empowerment Zone (NEZ)
- Commercial Historic District Ordinance (Section 146-96)
- Historic Preservation Overlay District (Section 146-97)
- Historic Preservation Advisory Board (Section 146-166)
- Historic Preservation Officer (Section 146-167)
- Designation of Historic Landmarks and Districts (146-168)
- Historic Neighborhood Improvement Zone (HNIZ) and Neighborhood Empowerment Zone (NEZ) (Section 98-83)