Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste
Notice: We are currently experiencing a high demand level for Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Recycling services. Pickup may take longer than 24-48 hours and may not occur on your usual trash/recycling pickup day. You will be notified when your pickup day will occur.
- Call for an Appointment at 972-547-7385 or order a HHW pickup online.
- Schedule pickup at least 24 to 48 business hours prior to your regular residential trash / recycling collection day. Solid Waste Services will confirm your pickup by phone or email. After-hours messages will be processed as they are received on the next business day.
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection (HHW) occurs on your regular trash and recycling collection day.
- For residents of McKinney, there are no additional fees for this service.
- Commercial waste will not be accepted at any time.
All chemical waste is collected and brought back to the City of McKinney’s Facilities Service Complex where it is stored until collected by a licensed hazardous waste disposal contractor. The city’s facility is not licensed by the State of Texas as an HHW drop-off center; therefore, we request that chemical waste not be brought directly to the facility for disposal. Please wait for City of McKinney staff to collect waste at your home.
All Items must be labeled, either with the original label or with a permanent marker if the original label is missing, stating the brand name of the material and the name of the contents. If this is not done, the unlabeled container will not be collected. All flammable materials such as paint thinner or kerosene should be in their original container or a container approved for transporting flammable liquids.* Plastic jugs with a screw-top lid may be used for flammable liquids that do not exceed one gallon in volume. Remember, never mix chemicals!
- HHW should be kept in its original container and be clearly labeled
- Wear protective gloves when handling HHW and do not smoke, eat or drink around chemicals
- Place HHW in a cardboard box and put curbside on your regular trash collection day at least 4 feet from your trash and/or recycling totes
- Clearly label your cardboard box “HHW” and make sure chemicals do not spill, leak or mix.
*Gasoline and diesel fuel must be in an approved non-spill gasoline or diesel container.
*Automotive oil filters must be placed in a sealed container or plastic ziplock bag.
- Limited to two boxes, no larger than 20 inches long by 20 inches wide by 20 inches high.
- Limited to 50 pounds per box or a 5-gallon limit per box.
- A 5-gallon bucket or container may be substituted for one box of HHW.
- Automobile tires are not accepted - see: Do-it-Yourself Solid Waste Disposal.
- Containers containing HHW are not returned - see: Automotive Fluid Disposal.
- Containers larger than five gallons are not accepted.
- Excessive quantities are considered commercial waste and are not accepted.
- Limited to two automobile batteries.
- Household Hazardous Waste is picked up by appointment only. Contact Solid Waste Services at 972-547-7385 or order a pickup online at least 24 to 48 business hours prior to your regular residential trash / recycling collection day. Solid Waste Services will confirm your pickup by phone or email. After-hours messages will be processed as they are received on the next business day.
- Place all items in a cardboard box/boxes labeled HHW at the curb by 7 a.m. on your scheduled appointment day at least four feet from your residential trash / recycling receptacles.
- City staff will only collect and transport approved items on the assigned day.
- The city reserves the right to deny the collection of certain materials and/or substances, and is not responsible for spills that may occur prior to a city staff member’s arrival.
Items We Collect
Items We Do Not Collect