Rain / Freeze Sensor Rebate
Rain & Freeze Sensors
Rain and Freeze Sensors are mounted outside and are activated by rainfall or freezing temperatures. The sensor interrupts the "on" signal to the control valves if sufficient rainfall is measured or temperatures fall below freezing. Once conditions improve, the system returns to normal operation.
For more information on the program, please call 972-547-7360 or send an email.
Rain & Freeze Rebate Program Guidelines
- This rebate program is intended to encourage retrofits. A $25 rebate is available for installing a qualifying rain and freeze sensor on your established irrigation system that was installed prior to June 1, 2005. All new irrigation systems installed on or after June 1, 2005, are required by ordinance to be equipped with a rain and freeze sensor and are not eligible for the rebate.
- Participant must have a City of McKinney water utility account in good standing for the property where installation of qualifying item is to occur. This program is for residential and small commercial lots that utilize controllers on the approved list.
- The rain and freeze sensor must be in place at the address listed above as long as registrant owns said property and must be set to the minimum shutoff requirement specific to its brand and model.
- The City of McKinney does not require an irrigation permit for retrofits of irrigation controllers, nor does it endorse specific brands, products, dealers or guarantee the performance or durability of the items purchased.
- A representative from the City of McKinney may contact you to verify the installation of the rain and freeze sensor before your application is accepted and rebate money is issued.
- A single participant shall not receive more than $500 in one year from the City of McKinney rebate program for any combination of eligible items.
- Originals of all receipts must be present should an onsite verification occur. If original receipts are not provided or installation of the device cannot be verified, the request for the rebate will be denied.
- Processing of the completed application may take up to 16 weeks. Once processing is complete and the rebate is approved, a credit will appear on your utility bill.
- The City of McKinney reserves the right to alter the details of the program at any time.
How to Participate
- Select, purchase and install a rain and freeze sensor.
- Complete the Rain and Freeze Sensor Retrofit Rebate application.
- Enclose with your application a copy of your original invoice or sales receipt showing the date of installation and the cost of the item.
Mail your application form to:
City of McKinney
Attention: Rain/Freeze Rebate
P.O. Box 517
McKinney, TX 75070
Or drop off in person at:
1550 S. College St.
McKinney, TX 75070