Friends of McKinney Libraries
Who Are the Friends?
We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support the library system and enrich the community by providing cultural and life-long learning opportunities.
Programs Sponsored by the Friends
- Read Across McKinney - The Friends are instrumental in planning this community project in which a book is chosen for the community to read and discuss. Past events included author visits, luncheons, and a play at the McKinney Performing Arts Center.
- Financial support for library materials and programs
- Children’s Summer Reading Program support
- Cultural and literary programs for adults
- Reviews will be at Hall Library (downtown) due to upcoming construction at the JJGL library.
- All programs are free of charge, with refreshments provided.
|January 13; 1:30 p.m.||Hall|
Paulo Ator Presents: Twice Mighty Orphans. Coach Rusty Russell and his Mighty Mites overcome every obstacle imaginable as an underdog school of orphans in depression-era Texas striving to become a competitive football team.
|February 17; 1:30 p.m.||Hall||Nella Phillips Presents: Silent Night. When a young boy witnesses a thief steal his mother’s wallet, he ventures into the city’s dangerous subway system in search of the thief.|
|March 16; 1:30 p.m.||Hall||Sharron Lucky Presents: My Exaggerated Life. My Exaggerated Life is the product of a special collaboration between Pat Conroy and oral biographer Katherine Clark, who recorded two hundred hours of conversations with Conroy before he passed away in 2016.|
|April 20; 7 p.m.||Hall||Janice Byrd Presents: Finding Dorothy. This richly imagined novel tells the story behind The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, the book that inspired the iconic film, through the eyes of author L. Frank Baum’s intrepid wife, Maud.|
|May 18; 7 p.m.||Hall||Dave Lieber Presents: Amon. Amon G. Carter, Sr. not only founded the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, but also had direct historical connections to many major Tarrant County corporations, including Lockheed Martin, Bell Flight, American Airlines, KXAS-TV NBC5, WBAP NewsTalk 820, and General Motors among others.|
What Do the Friends Do?
- As an Active Friend, you can support the library by volunteering to plan projects or events.
- Or you can choose to be a Silent Partner who supports the group with a membership payment. Your membership supplies the extra funds our library needs to continue to be a valuable asset to our community.
- You can also show your support by purchasing a Friends Book Bag for $10. These are available at the library circulation desks.
- You can also support the library by sponsoring a major library event.
- Check out our new Facebook page.
How Do I Join?
It's easy! Just print and fill out the membership application. Applications with envelopes are also available at the circulation desks at both libraries. Mail the completed form to the address below with your dues payment or return it in person to either McKinney library.
|Membership Level||Membership Dues|
Please make checks payable to, and mail to:
Friends of McKinney Libraries
101 E. Hunt St.
McKinney, TX 75069
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.