- Library cards are available free of charge to all Collin County residents with picture identification (for example, a driver’s license) that shows proof of residence. If you are not current on your driver’s license, you may bring in a current utility bill, etc.
- Individuals 16 years of age and older may register for a library card by completing an online library card application form and by presenting identification and proof of current address. Library cards are free to Collin County residents, current City of McKinney employees and owners of businesses in McKinney.
- Those 15 years of age and younger must have their library-card-holding parent / guardian present to receive a library card. A juvenile of any age may apply for a library card. The adult is responsible for any materials checked out by the juvenile.
- 16- and 17-year-olds without their own state-issued ID may obtain a card if their parent / guardian has a library card. The parent’s ID may be used for verification of address.
If you meet the above criteria, you can self-register for a library card through our library catalog’s online library card application form.
- Please choose a home library (the default branch for your requests and holds of library items) and fill out all requested information.
- You will get a confirmation page confirming your registration along with your new library eCard number, which gives you access to numerous electronic resources, including cloudLibrary.
- To upgrade your account to access all library physical and digital resources, please visit the circulation desk of either McKinney Public Library branch and present your picture identification and proof of residence.
Library Card Renewals
Every four years cards need to be renewed to verify contact information. If you receive a renewal email or text message, send us an email or call 972-547-7323.
Library eCard Program
- Library cards are available free of charge to all Collin County residents. You may register for a library card by completing the online library card application form.
- Completing the form generates an eCard, which will be valid for 2 years.
- We encourage you to come to either library location to validate your address and pick up a physical card allowing you access to all library physical and digital resources.
- In the meantime, your eCard number gives you access to numerous electronic resources, including cloudLibrary.
- Forgot your password?
Checking Out Materials
Library materials other than reference items may be checked out for three weeks. Items will automatically renew up to three times if there are no holds or requests for those items.
Checkout and Request Limits Per Library Card
- 200 items (including books, DVDs, CD or MP3 audiobooks)
- Book requests - 100
- DVD requests - 20
- CD or MP3 audiobook requests - 15
- The Library offers automatic renewal of items you’ve checked out. These will be renewed automatically, up to a maximum of three times, unless there’s a hold request on the item from another patron.
- You can check the library catalog website for the renewal status of your checked-out items. You’ll need your library card number and password.
- The McKinney Public Library does not charge daily late fines for overdue items.
- Any fees on your card (for instance, for lost or damaged items) in the amount of $10 or over will block you from checking out, and items from being automatically renewed.
- Fees may be paid at the circulation desk in the lobby of either library location. You may pay by cash, check, or credit card.
Suspending Hold Request Items
- Open the Library Catalog and log in with your barcode number and your password.
- Go to "Your Summary" from the left column of choices.
- Click on the "Holds" tab.
- Select item hold(s) to suspend.
- Choose a convenient date for the item(s) to resume being held for you.
- Click "Suspend all holds," with your new date showing to the right.
- The system will keep you on the request list and will make your request active again on the date you specified.
- You also have the option of resuming the hold earlier. Click "Resume all suspended holds."
A TexShare Card allows you to have direct access to books and other library materials that are not available from within the McKinney Public Library System. The TexShare card is a privilege for those who have demonstrated a pattern of responsible library usage. Please read the McKinney Public Library System TexShare Card Lending Policy for more information.