Interlibrary Loan Service Resumes
- If you need a journal article, book or other loanable material that the McKinney Public Library System does not own, the Library’s Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service will attempt to get it for you. You may request or have active five items at a time.
- Due to COVID-19, our Interlibrary Loan resources may be limited. Many libraries which service Interlibrary Loans are still closed. Therefore, the process from end-to-end may take longer than usual or it may take several attempts.
- In addition, it may be difficult acquiring an item at all, since many libraries still have items checked out elsewhere.
- If you requested items before the shutdown in March 2020, these have been canceled and you will need to resubmit your requests.
Tips on Using the Interlibrary Loan Form
- When searching for an item, you will see a list of libraries that own the item. This is information for you to consult, but you don’t need to pick one of these libraries. The ILL system will make the choice based on availability.
- Under "Choose a Library," pick McKinney Public Library. You will be asked to choose the McKinney library you want the item sent to. You do not need to choose one of the libraries that owns the item.
- If you do not have an email address, type "none." The preferred method of contact is email. However, if you do not have an email address, staff will contact you by phone.
- If you receive an error message while placing the request, please email ILL@mckinneytexas.org with your library card number, which library you’d like to pick it up at (Roy & Helen Hall or John & Judy Gay), the title and author of the item you are requesting, and the desired format (book, CD, DVD, etc.).
- If the McKinney Public Library System owns the desired item, you cannot request it through Interlibrary Loan, but you can search the library catalog and place a hold there.
- You may also access the Interlibrary Loan system (for items the library doesn’t own) during searches in the library catalog.
- For more detailed instructions, please see our brochure, Placing an Interlibrary Loan Request.
Please Note When Picking up ILL Items
- Do not remove the yellow Interlibrary Loan label. If items are lost as a result of removing the label, replacement fees will be the responsibility of the patron.
- Renewals cannot be requested for overdue items.
- Please request renewals at least one week in advance.
- Renewals are at the discretion of the lending library.
- Repeated failure to abide by due dates for ILLs may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges.